Kids

THE GREAT DOUBLE STROLLER DEBATE

The Great Double Stroller DebateWhen we were preparing for Isla’s arrival we tried our hardest to buy things that were gender neutral and would last through multiple kids. So imagine my surprise when we started making a list of all the things we need for baby no. 2. Currently, somewhere near the top of our list is a double stroller. While I plan to do a lot of babywearing in our SollyBaby Wrap and Ergo for trips to the park, etc, living in the city means we almost never drive and our stroller is our livelihood in terms of getting out and about. The most important feature we’re looking for is a single stroller with a sibling seat add-on — a two-in-one or convertible stroller, if you will — so that I can easily remove the sibling seat and put Isla in the stroller and the baby in a carrier. The last thing I want is to be pushing a double stroller around with only one kid in it. Tied for most important feature is a tandem set-up as opposed to the side-by-side. City sidewalks and double wide strollers to do not mix, not to mention I have no idea how I’d get that thing in and out of doorways, including our own! Okay and price is really important, too. You can spend upwards of $1000 on these things if you want to, but we do not want to.

We currently have the Britax B-Agile single stroller (with the Britax B-Safe infant car seat) and it’s been very good to us. It’s lightweight (only 16 pounds), easily maneuverable, comfortable for Isla and easy to fold. I really don’t have any complaints, except that it’s eternally a single stroller with no option for a second child, which means if we love our new purchase, we might be selling it on Craigslist. We shall see.

In the meantime, I’d love to hear your thoughts on double strollers … the ones you love and hate and why. Here are the three we’re currently considering, in order of which one is winning and with some pros and cons for each I’ve found while researching.

Britax B-Ready ($399) w/Second Seat, ($120-150).
PROS:
Can be used as a single or a double
Agile and easy to maneuver (through the store at least)
Tandem set-up saves space and doesn’t feel bulky when pushing
Weight in the rear so easy to maneuver up curbs
Collapsable with second seat attached (most others require second seat to be removed first)
Stands on its own when folded
Can fit two car seats, a toddler and a car seat, two toddlers, or a toddler and a baby
Don’t need adapter for our Britax infant car seat; car seat can fit in either position
Rubber tires (no air filling necessary)
Canopy for both seats
Various positions for both seats possible (i.e. back-to-back, face-to-face, etc)

CONS:
Single stroller is heavier than most, though doubles weight is comparable (26 lbs as single, 34 as double)
One kid is looking at the back of the other
No space to hang groceries or bags on handle with carabiner
4 wheels instead of 3
Need car seat adapter for lower seat position

Phil & Teds Navigator w/Second Seat ($499-$650, depending on color)
PROS:
Can be used as a single or a double
Agile and easy to maneuver; 3 wheels, not 4
Tandem set-up saves space and doesn’t feel bulky when pushing
Weight in the rear so easy to maneuver up curbs
26 possible configurations
Large, rotating canopy
Auto stop feature so your stroller won’t roll into the street (especially good for people who live in hilly areas)

CONS:
Must remove second seat to collapse
Does not stand on its won when collapsed
Air-filled tires could require refilling and I’ve read they sometimes pop
Single stroller is heavier than most, though doubles weight is lighter (26 lbs as single, 31 as double))
One kid is looking at the back of the other
No canopy for second seat
Approx $130 more expensive than the Britax
Position of front seat cannot be turned around
Requires car seat adapter

Baby Jogger City Select w/Second Seat ($499 on sale)
PROS:
Can be used as a single or a double
Both kids get a great view
Can hang groceries/diaper bag on handlebar
Multiple positioning options; 16 seat combos, including two car seats
Second seat has its own canopy
Rubber tires (no air filling necessary)

CONS:
Bulkier and not as agile as the other two
Front heavy and harder to get up curbs (so say reviewers)
Must remove second seat to collapse
Does not stand on its won when collapsed
Heaviest single of the three (28 pounds as single, 34 as double)
Requires car seat adapter

Right now the Britax is our first choice. The price is right, we like the configuration, it’s easy to maneuver and we like the single stroller option just as much as the double. Plus, we already know and love the brand, so that’s a good selling point. I do love the Phil & Ted’s, but the air-filled tires are the main concern. I use our current stroller multiple times each day and the last thing I want is to end up with a flat tire.

Now it’s your turn? Tell me everything you know and love and hate about your double stroller experiences.

SHOP THESE STROLLERS

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

• Reply Rebecca July 1, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hi!!! Am I the only one that thinks strollers are so fun? Must be the first time mom in me!! :)

I did a ton of research during our fertility journey. We ended up going with Uppababy! I know that the Cruz has the ability to be a double. The Baby Guy NYC has lots of great things to say about it, especially since it has been redone for 2015!

Just a thought! Happy shopping!

Rebecca

• Reply reallyrisa July 1, 2015 at 10:11 am

Hi Rebecca! We looked at the Uppababy Vista, too. It looks comparable to the City Select actually, but at $1,000+ we were hoping to get something a little cheaper since we need more stuff than we anticipated for the little guy. I’m sure you’re going to love it! Everyone I know loves their Uppababy! Let me know how it works out when the baby comes! xo

• Reply Rachel July 1, 2015 at 9:54 am

We have the Baby Jogger City Select w/the second seat and we love it, for the most part. It’s very easy to push, has great configurations, and is very easy to set up (once you’ve done it a few times). It is pretty heavy but it doesn’t really feeling like it when pushing it around. There are a few things I’m not crazy about, though. The basket is quite large but can be difficult to access depending on how you’ve positioned the seats. Also, when we used the car seat adapter with it, the car seat (we have a Graco) sat up so high I could barely see over it (I’m pretty short, though). While I love the stroller and love being able to push two kids around at the same time, we don’t get as much use out of the stroller as I had thought we would. My kids are two years apart and I would often just let the older one walk and take our snap n go for the baby or put the older one in our umbrella stroller and wear the baby. If you need a recommendation for a great umbrella stroller, check out the uppababy g-luxe. It’s our favorite stroller. Anyway, good luck with your stroller decision!! :)

• Reply reallyrisa July 1, 2015 at 10:08 am

Thanks for the feedback on the City Select, Rachel! I have also looked into the g-luxe for an umbrella stroller so that might be a down-the-road purchase. My concern with the CS is that its not as great as a single stroller and it sounds like you don’t use it as such very much. We live in the city so we don’t have much space for multiple strollers. Thanks again! So helpful!

• Reply Kate July 8, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I have the B Ready. I’ve only used it as a single stroller so far, but have no real complaints. Now that my girl is bigger (30 pounds!) it does feel a bit heavy to push, but I would imagine that they all are. I’ve never had any trouble folding it up and putting it in the car or anything like that. I have had some trouble in doorways, not too much trouble but it is a little awkward trying to open the door, push the stroller all the way through, and get it at the right angle so it doesn’t get stuck somewhere. I have a friend who was a nanny and stroller nerd, and she got the B Ready for a few specific reasons, but I can’t remember them! I can ask her again if you’re interested. Anyways, overall I am generally happy with the B Ready! I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those three choices though! I have a couple friends with the city selects, and they love those too!

P.S. I’ve been meaning to comment for awhile. I found your blog because our girls have the same birthday and I love watching our girls grow together! Hope that’s not too creepy, it’s just fun seeing another baby the same age, my friends all have kids at least a few months older and younger, but none super close to her age! I’ve loved being able to follow some of Isla’s age specific activities at the same time my girl was doing them, I especially loved your posts on BLW.

• Reply Beth July 15, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Love your blog! Here’s my stroller 2 cents. Get the city select. I have two little girls and it has been a blessing. 2 simple words: Cargo Room. I don’t know how many times I’ve been stopped and awed at in the grocery store for being able to fit a weeks worth of groceries in the stroller, plus the two kids. Also, the setup doesn’t allow for kids to touch the tires. In the britax, the lower child can reach the tires. It is heavy, but just think, you’re getting in your arm workout! Also, we used the britax b safe with the select and the adapters are all too easy, seriously, just click in. I still have the britax b safe for the city select adapters, if you want them, I’d totally mail them to you!

• Reply Carissa November 17, 2015 at 9:04 am

I love a stroller that is lighter and more versatile. I also really like the 5 point harness. I hate when I use a stroller that only has a lap belt, because I always have ‘escapees’.