I call these kid-friendly, but since I made them for my kid and ate as many as she did, I should really call them mom-friendly. Or mom-obsessed. Either way, the point is these are really easy and delicious and you will love them just as much as your infant or toddler. They also do not contain egg so that’s a bonus for those of us avoiding it like the plague. I used this recipe. My batch made 14 bites so I’ll probably be doubling it for next time so that we can both eat them and have a bunch to freeze.
A few things I did differently from the recipe:
1. I made my own breadcrumbs because I actually looked at the nutrition label for the store-bought kind and was sort of floored. Lots of sodium and other crap I’d rather not give my infant. Really easy directions for homemade breadcrumbs below.
2. I used fresh, steamed broccoli, not the frozen kind the recipe calls for because that’s what we had in the house.
3. I added garlic powder to the mixture for more flavor.
4. As the directions suggest in a little note at the bottom of the recipe, I baked these in a mini muffin pan. I think that helped them stay together and bake into little bites. This also made them the perfect size for her tiny hands.
Isla, who is eight months old, ate four to five of these in one sitting and easily gummed right through them, leaving behind on scraps. As you can see from the photos, she stuffed her face, barely taking a break to breathe, until her belly was nice and full.
– preheat oven to 300 degrees
– arrange slices of bread on a dry baking sheet
– bake for 20-25 minutes total; flip each slice after 10 minutes and bake for 10-15 more, until each slice is hard and dry
– let cool, then place in a large plastic bag and break apart with your hands and a rolling-pin until you have a bag of bread crumbs!
– add spices, such as Italian seasoning, garlic powder, etc.
pssst. don’t forget to enter to win Isla’s favorite baby blankie by Saranoni this week! winner will be announce Friday!